General Any drone pilots on here?

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by Harvey, Saturday 15th Dec, 2018.

1. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

How many people on here have drones that use them regularly, and by drones I mean the likes of the DJI phantom series, Mavic etc rather than the toys.

I've just picked one up for very cheap in a part trade deal.

It's a DJI Phantom 3 standard. So while not the top of the line model, still a good machine for filming meets, car pics and such forth.

Plus I've wanted one for a long time

2. Nighthawk Club Moderator Club Staff

Got a dji mavic 2. I fly it with my son as he is massively into video projects.

Harvey likes this.
  3. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Very nice!

It was a mavic that I had fancied of late as I like the idea of the portability of them, while my phantom is particularly massive in comparison. But for £170 I am not really complaining. Though I could do with another couple of batteries now.

4. Nighthawk Club Moderator Club Staff

I took mine to H Tune HQ the other week so @SpeedyGee and @Leo at H-Tune were having a play with it. Flight time is about 20 minutes per battery. Got three of them. 64gb sd card runs out before all 3 batteries do.

Got a range of over 2 miles with clear line of sight but I've only had the guts to send it one. Only taken it to around 400 feet straight up but apparently its got a ceiling of around 600 metres.

Its about the size of a piece of A4 paper with its blades fully folded out

Harvey likes this.
  5. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah right. I only have one battery for now. My first flight didn't go so well as I was too close to my car and crashed the drone into it snapping a blade and taking a chunk out of my front bumper. However my second And third flights where alot better, though because of where I was using it, I only managed about 300 metres before I lost signal and it returned back to me. The standard uses Wi-FI as signal, where as the newer drones use Lightbridge ... Whatever that is.

But here is my third flight so far.

Attached Files:

6. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Some good quality footage there @Harvey. How long you had the drone for?

Harvey likes this.
  7. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

About 2 weeks mate

8. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Good footage for 2 weeks. Heard they are hard to fly, i always wanted one but never got around to get one lol

9. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They are not hard to fly at all mate. Mine is a dji phantom 3 standard. It has a GPS function built in so that once it has lock it will hover in place. The left stick controls up and down, left and right rotate. And the right stick controls movement, forward, back,.left and right, plus a roll wheel to control the camera gimble. Sounds hard,.trust me it isn't. That was my third flight, the other two where at night

10. Nighthawk Club Moderator Club Staff

The DJI are easy to fly. My son flies it better than me :Grin:

Mine automatically records its take off position so if it ever loses signal, it will return home. Its also smothered in sensors so is really hard to crash unless you turn them off to engage sports mode which is great fun. Sounds like a hoard of angry bees. Max speed is something like 42mph.

Il post some footage up soon. Have to find some which doesnt have my kids in it

DrSam and Harvey like this.
  11. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    great stuff its on my wants list :Grin:

Harvey likes this.
  12. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

A drone has been on my want list for so long, and finally getting one, not really had any decent weather to fly it :Frown: oh well hopefully have abit of time over Christmas

honda_saj likes this.
  13. Nighthawk Club Moderator Club Staff

This is a video which my son made - music and editing, as well as he flew the entire thing. I have re edited it to take my kids out of the footage so its not as smooth as he made it, but it gives an idea

DrSam and vincemince like this.
  14. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Some good footage there. I was gonna say about the jerkyness of the video, then I read your comment about your kids, which is fair comment. Also really brave taking it near trees, fair play and well controlled.

Nighthawk likes this.
  15. Nighthawk Club Moderator Club Staff

Hes a better pilot than me, although to be fair, whenever I take it out, I don't really get a chance to play with it :Laughing:

Harvey likes this.
  16. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I joined another forum for the drones ( phantompilots) and they seem to be a helpful bunch over there, which is good

17. Duc de Pommfrit Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Canada Chester Northumberland
    I will be unwrapping my drone a week tomorrow! :Xmas:

andy83 and Harvey like this.
  18. Harvey Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nice one mate, which one you getting?

19. Duc de Pommfrit Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not sure, Santa didn't write back.

Harvey and andy83 like this.
  20. Duc de Pommfrit Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★