any common oil leak

Discussion in '6th Generation (1996-2000)' started by custom, Friday 13th Nov, 2009.

1. custom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

when i give a some in VTEC, i can smell some burning oil smell, not all the time, is there any common leak on the b16 engines, it done 100k? also i can see a little bit of oil on the left hand side of the block next to the exhaust manifold.

2. Gunter Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

VTEC solenoid leak? or rocker cover leak? it could be the rocker breather hose has broken aswell. thats all i can think it would be really

3. stepawayfromthemachine Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VTEC solenoid seal. Located at end of head on left hand side. Pretty common, new seal is about

4. custom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

5. dean85 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

head gasket fella, by that description

6. custom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

joking, how much is it to normally to get it fix at garage? any idea

7. donzo Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ballpark figure of

8. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

do you notice any other problems with the car?

like overheating? water and oil mixing? losing water? misfiring? trouble starting?

9. custom Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

not any problems at all, temp is always the same, no water and oil mixing, start first time every time, never miss a beat, but sometime when i give it some, can smell the odd oil burning.

10. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

from that description it could still be the VTEC soilnoid gasket, it seeps out down the side of the head and sits on top of the gearbox, or could be a camshaft seal

If it was headgasket failure you'd have all the tell tale signs appearing as meantioned

al9955

11. newkid Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

as al said could be the camshaft seals, mine were well past it when Gerry did the belt and all of them needed replaced

12. Calp87 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

turn heaters off.. ??