air box reasonator

Discussion in '5th Generation (1992-1995)' started by Shadowdemon88, Wednesday 11th Nov, 2009.

1. Shadowdemon88 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

right I've got the bumper off and i'm thinkin of removing the air box reasonator.

i am runnin a b18 in a ej2 with standard airbox and filter. will removin the reasonator make any different performance/ sound wises??

hoping to get a hks panel filter in the box some time soon.......

thanks

2. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

if you remove it then it will gain a nice sound and lose power and thats been proven by some people on ht

but if you add a cold air feed then it will gain power thats also proven and proves how esentiall the cold air feed is

3. wanstar Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

4" flexi pipe for a cold air feed thats what i'm using with hks panel filter works well.

4. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

how much is the hks filter? why not just use a k+n surely its cheaper and better quality

5. Shadowdemon88 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

ok ok but its gonna get more cold air then it was as it looks like the resonator takes air from the engine bay.

i know a cold air feed would be better but surely for the time bein the filter will be feed from the vent in the bottom of the bumper

6. daz-civic Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

it will lose power but the loss and gain is tiny maybe 1-2bhp loss without and 1-2 BHP gain with so you won't notice it

7. Shadowdemon88 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

fuck it, its comin out then. see what happens.......

8. Bong Guest

You will lose a bit of throttle response for a bit of top end grunt

I did lots of different combo's on my old MB6 and settled for standard air box, K&N panel filter, resonator removed, cold air feed

9. Shadowdemon88 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

heard u talk abt this before bong. so i should leave it on for the time bein until i get a cold air feed and a panel filter.....

want to keep the standard box just don't see the point in the reasonator which feeds air from the engine bay

10. Bong Guest

Up to you really, i'd just rip the resonator out whilst your in there, makes a nice noise! But won't be as good without the feed

Depending on what box you are using, there were two little plastic tubes in my B18C4 air box, one on the inlet side of the box and one on the outlet side, I removed these too

11. James Rowe Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I ripped mine out, well more precise I never put one in when replacing a shitty ebay induction kit. Still need todo the cold feed.

12. wanstar Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

don't have a scooby how much the k and n is the hks is a foam one though and its something like 36quid. u can get 4" flexi pipe from b and q etc for pennies then all u need is either duck tape or a big jubilee clip

13. Shadowdemon88 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

well i've put it back on for the time bein as it was startin to rain and i need to gert some ductin.

bong its an lsi standard box im usin not the mb6 one.

gonna cut out the vent on the bumper and send the cold air feed from there, see how that goes and then when I've got some money get a new panel filter in

cheers for the help guys

14. Shadowdemon88 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

just been thinkin would rain water be a problem if i just have a duct from the bumper to the airbox?? will it go into the box??

15. Gunter Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

no it shouldnt do, i had a 4" duct protruding the bottom of the bumper for ages and although i got a puddle of water in the base of the duct, none of it made it up the duct

the hks is a foam filter, the k&n a stainless mesh i believe, i used a hks filter on my airbox with various different setups

standard airbox setup no bottom resonator, airbox with cold air feed, airbox with no top resonator or bottom

compared to my old induction kit with a filter in need of a wash they all made the car slower, and throttle response was worse with the airbox

i reset the ECU every time and drove with each one for over a week.

16. wanstar Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

hmm might not sell my v2 afterall then lol

17. SaintGrimm Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Can I ask. Is the resonator box the bit under the wing? Why would you lose throttle response and things?

From that I've seen the intake on the box is tiny, when you remove the box, the pipe intake is much larger, shouldn't that be better?

18. EGplease Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i already have a cold aire feed but i have a short ram air intake but converting to B16 panal filter with Spoon replacement... supposed to give really good gains and throttle respone (for an intake system)

19. Gunter Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

id keep it bro, especially as the v2 is known for being the end all of intake setups. suposedly better even than the whale penis

tho id love to see a whale penis setup with the filter located where the aem v2 one sits

20. EGplease Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

what are the risks of hydro lock with the V2 and the cold air feed???