Introductions After many years.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by very oldun, Sunday 13th Jan, 2019.

1. very oldun Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Brmingham
    Hello everyone,
    After many years and many cars I have broken my vow never to buy Japanese ,I was given a Subaru Impreza once. ,less said about that the better.
    So my Jaguar Type-S has been joined by a Honda Civic 1.6 SE ,day two of ownership and I think I may have been swayed by good looks,not for the first time I might add. Body and paintwork good as is the interior,however dipped the oil this morning,nothing,add a liter and still nothing on the stick.Despite that the car runs nicely so we shall see.
    Mike

legend-ary likes this.
  2. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Hello @very oldun welcome to the forum.

Please add your car to the Club Garage.
    Here are some useful information, please take a moment to go through them.
    "Popular Guides For New Members"

Glad to hear you broken your vow and bought a Honda, congratulation on your purchase.
    When was the Civic last serviced? Also are you checking the oil level on a level ground after the car been sitting there for at least an hour (Without being started)?

3. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

Hello and welcome @very oldun :Hey:

I am very concerned that there is no oil showing on the dipstick. This needs urgent attention as the consequences could be very expense.

hondream likes this.
  4. very oldun Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

At my age,I don't think I can spare an hour waiting for oil to settle ,I did what I normally do,go to the filling station put some go juice in,pay for it ,then before leaving check the oil,Any idea of the capacity of the sump? I will put some more in tomorrow,I don't think the car has been serviced for some time ,washers were bone dry. The handbook states leave a few minutes before checking,no mention of an hour.As I live on a hill,if I need to wait an hour I have a big problem.

Mike

5. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    You don't actually need to wait an hour, 5-10 minutes is fine.

You don't say what year your Civic is but the fact that it's 1.6 suggests it's a D16 petrol engine of the 2001-2005 era. These had a 3.5-litre capacity. The other possibility is the 1.6 litre diesel engines in the 2013+ Civics, these have 4.7litre oil capacity.

Would be worth getting a full service done if you are unsure of the history of the car.

hondream likes this.
  6. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Welcome @very oldun

As others have said - worth getting on top of that oil issue sooner rather than later

So have I, and still paying for it 15 years later :Laughing:

7. very oldun Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes it will be serviced when it goes in for timing belts,todays job is get the sump filled correctly ,then to identify the bearing that is groaning. SpeedyGee is correct,its a 1.6 petrol. of 05 vintage..

8. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Does it sound like a wheel bearing or is it more noticable when in gear? The 7th Generation Civics (which is what your car is) had an issue with their main gearbox shaft bearings failing.

9. very oldun Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

You are quite correct,out of gear no noise.This bargain runabout is turning expensive ,oil now up to the mark,I reckon it swallowed just over a liter.

10. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Thats about right - a litre between min and max.

Is it like a whining noise which increases as you accelerate coming from the gearbox? @Beefy changed the one on my wifes EP2. I won't lie - its expensive

11. legend-ary Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Civic's of this generation are known to have noisy input shaft bearing which is a gearbox out job! best way to confirm is when you push the clutch in, the noise goes away.

12. very oldun Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I think this car needs more than its worth,however I only bought it as a local runaround so I am considering having the timing belt changed then run it until the g/box dies. The alternative sounds far too expensive.

13. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Sorry to hear of your predicament Mike.

Did the car make this noise when you test drove it or has it just recently developed?

14. very oldun Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

There was a noise on the test drive but it sounded as if the exhaust manifold gasket was blowing slightly ,after a few miles it became evident that the fault was a bearing. !!
    - - - Updated - - -
    Could you give me an idea how expensive??

15. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

Off the top of my head, I think it was around the £600 mark for Honda to change it as they did the clutch at the same time so may have been even a bit more. But its a gearbox out and disassembly job. Not sure how much they have to disassemble it though. How far has the car gone?

16. legend-ary Club Moderator Club Staff

Gearbox won't die because of an input shaft bearing.. this was an issue that plagued Jazz 2002-2005 and Civic 01-05 but I have never heard one fail so don't worry if you don't want to spend any money.

17. very oldun Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just reread all above posts ,Back to my gearbox,no noise when stationary,clutch inor out,no noise when coasting out of gear. Nighthawk ,the car has done 138000 miles.

18. legend-ary Club Moderator Club Staff

that doesn't sound like the input bearing noise.

DrSam and Nighthawk like this.
  19. very oldun Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well now we know,the noise is the pinion bearing.so that can grind away to its hearts content. Getting used to the car slowly, are everyone's interior lights as useless as mine I wonder? Dash now contains a pair of pliers for bonnet opening and now a torch to replace the glow worm interior lights.,next thing is to update the reversing lights,in fact the lighting in general is not good.

20. Nighthawk Club Manager Club Staff

My wifes Civic needed the same thing - pliers to open the bonnet as the catch snapped, and whilst its an easy enough replace, I just couldn't be bothered. You can upgrade the interior lights quite easily to something more powerful.

Its quite possible that the exterior lights are simply faded over the years. A bit of a refurb on those should bring them back up to standard again.

Have you managed to take any pictures of the car yet to show us what she looks like?

DrSam likes this.