advice on an em1 coupe

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by jh_mgr, Wednesday 11th Nov, 2009.

1. jh_mgr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

no idea where to put this as im a n00b so move accordingly :Smile:

Looking to get one of these as my next car, current car is on finance and i would be getting finance for this too as current one is nearly over but the cars a bag of shit

JUST LOOKING FOR GENERAL ADVICE, WHAT TO LOOK FOR, WHAT TO AVOID?

oh and does anyone know of any dealers that stock them as i can't find any at all like.

Wonder if finance would get me a car through a private seller hhmmm

Any help appreciated guys :Smile:

2. Sam. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ever thought that having 2 cars on finance is going to fuck you in the shitter?

3. Prince Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tbh mate, wait until you can afford to buy the car instead of using finance. Once you've saved up keep your eye out in the for sale section.

4. jh_mgr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

lol no im paying the rest of the finance on this off wit ha lump sum, just prefer finance as i can get the car when i need it if i saved id have to do without a car for ages and i need it for work

Plus this cars near the magic mileage for hgf so paying it off and selling is the best thing to do!

Keep the advice coming :Tongue:

5. Bong Guest

Nothing wrong with having a car on finance whats the problem? If you can afford the monthly payment then its fine. Just put a decent sized deposit down so there is no negative equity

6. jonny mac Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

hi mate

pm'd you. please reply.

7. BigJames Commercial Services Trader

You won't find any EM1s at Honda dealers, in fact my local dealer has pretty much stopped stocking EP shaped Civics now...

You might find some at independant dealers but you are better off buying private - ever thought of a personal loan instead of finance? That way you can buy from wherever you like...

8. Stu. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Seconded. Also if you find one for less than you borrow, then you also have some extra cash for mods.

As for things to look for, I've only had mine a short while so not too sure. They've got a lot of electrics (windows, sunroof etc) so check they're all working as they should. Other than that and the usual checks you'd do on any car, I don't know I'm afraid mate.

9. Sandy. Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personal loan would be a much better option IMO, thats how i got my old car took 3k out covered car and insurance for a year, i was paying less than 200 a month over a year less intrest over a shorter period.

10. jonny mac Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i got a personal loan for my Civic from the bank. took a loan of 4200 to cover the car and also some spare for the insurance. i can't remember how much i'm paying back after they add thier interest. but its an personal loan of money from the bank has nothing to do with my car. managed to pay off alot of it so far putting spare money into it every month.

bigjames i think we're now both in the same boat about sellin clover green em1's

:Grin:

11. jtjtjt Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

i think the guy wanted advice on the car not the finance,

i say go for it, i just got one and it amazes me every day,

you just need to look out for rust, and gbox crunches , other wise they are soid cars

12. Anomaly Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When u see one you like act FAST !!!

don't stop looking.

The one night i did out of about 3 weeks i missed out on the unicorn :O

13. BigJames Commercial Services Trader

EM1s are like most cars of their age, check they have a good service history and have been well maintained. Check basic stuff like condition of oil, tyres, bodywork, interior and that gives you some idea of how the car has been run... and more importantly - if the owners before have cared for the car...

Oh and Jonny... why don't you buy mine and have a pair of EM1s? :Grin:

14. jh_mgr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

gonna ring a few finance peeps tomorrow, won't get a loan tbh been trying for a while!

Will pm you back when i find out more info about getting rid of my bag of shit matey :Smile:

15. BigJames Commercial Services Trader

If you can't get a loan then you'll get screwed on finance.... I wouldn't touch anything thats high APR

16. Bong Guest

I see personal loans and finance as the same thing, just get the best APR you can and put a large enough deposit down to ensure the loan isnt worth more than the car and the monthly payment is manageable

17. BigJames Commercial Services Trader

What I meant was simply that if the OP is being turned down for personal loans then I assume they have bad credit and so the only finance they will be offered will be a YES style deal at some ungodly APR rate of somethink like 18-99%... and anyone who gets one of those needs their head checking.... check out the total amount payable and you might be surprised!

18. jh_mgr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Had the last car through British Credit Trust who seemed fair, anyone know of any other finance companies that offer a lower APR?

19. BigJames Commercial Services Trader

what rate were you paying before? I have never had any dealings with them.

20. jh_mgr Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

about 29.9%