Insurance Accord written off

Discussion in 'Insurance & Breakdown Cover' started by Dave400, Thursday 20th Sep, 2018.

1. Dave400 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

My Accord was hit by another driver Monday night, and his insurance company has decided to write it off, looking for some advice..
    Given the damage was down the both OS doors and the wing, is it worth considering a buy back (approx £167) with the current payout proposal £2035.

Is that valuation fair?

What would the resale value be if I repaired it myself?

IMG_0055.JPG IMG_0056.JPG IMG_0057.JPG IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0073.JPG

2. ChrisKnottIns Site Partner Trader

Have they classed it as a Cat N write-off or a Cat S?

To get an idea of the value of the vehicle pre-accident simply look on Autotrader etc and find other examples with similar spec and mileage. If you've got receipts for any additional work you've had done or modifications made you can produce those too to ensure you get a fair settlement figure. Does the £167 come off the £2035 or is that what's left after salvage retention?

3. Dave400 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Haven't yet been advised if it\s Cat N or S.

So few Accords listed on Autotrader and the like, let alone EX mocels with Sat Nav so struggling to get a good picture in my head if the valuation is fair or not.

4. ChrisKnottIns Site Partner Trader

Does Parkers Guide give you an idea?

5. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    How bad are the door dents? If it was mine I'd be inclined to buy it back buff the plastic off the doors and either buy a wing from a breakers or get the one you have repaired.
    The damage doesn't look that bad from the pics you have, mostly plastic transfer from the bumper.

6. Dave400 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've already been offfered the loan of a dent puller which would get the worst of the doors done, and as you say, I think the worst of the scrapes is paint scrubbed off the other vehicles bumper.. Whilst it won't be perfect I could live ith it, wing I'd bide my time and find a decent condition one alread painted black..

If done properly a quality local bodyshop has roughly estimated £995 for the three panels. and I've possibly already found suitable panels and for much less than having it pulled and repainted..

7. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    If you like the car then keep it!
    Its only really light cosmetic damage to my eyes nothing serious or structural that I can see unless the wheel took a knock.
    Once you remove the labour costs of painting then it becomes a lot cheaper, labour is the killer. Hours to fill, sand and spray doesn't come cheap.

8. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi @Dave400, just came across your thread, sorry to hear about the accident.

I was curious to hear what you decided to do in the end?

9. Dave400 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all, car was written off and classed as a Cat N non structural write off. Car was valued at £2270, and I bought it back from the insurer for £182.

Most of the marks were just plastic transfer from the other vehicle and I was able to buff the majority out, roughly reshaped the wing by hand and from a distance it doesn't look too bad!

Week after getting the car back put it in for an MOT (it was due for one, it wasn't stipulated as being mandatory post accident) and it passed with no issues.

I pretty much plan on keeping it for the next 6 months or so then sell it on middle of next year.

IMG_0233.JPG

10. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's a good result! :Thumbup:

Thanks for reporting back.

11. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Glad you bought the car back, good choice there.
    You maybe able to get the same colour doors from the scrappy for a reasonable price and just do a swap.
    I done that before.

Here is a example
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/153187076666

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/401601754815

Will cost £100 for both if you can collect.

12. Dave400 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had been following some similar ones but they were a fair distance away and courier cost put it outside the amount I'd want to pay.. Peterborough is a couple of hour drive from me, so doable as a day trip.. will see if the breaker still has them in the new year along with a wing.

13. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

I had a similar thing about 18 months ago, got £1700 from insurance, bought it back for £240 and replaced the door and wing (each cost £50 in the same colour and the match is near perfect).. replaced the engine undertray and refurbished all of the wheels, did a few other minor jobs and upgrades... and still only spent around 60% of the insurance money.

The door and wing could have been repaired as the damage was so minor... But it was still cheaper and easier to swap them.

14. ChrisKnottIns Site Partner Trader

15. Heckler Club Moderator Club Staff

@Dave400 did you get the parts you needed? Peterborough isn't all that far from me.

Harvey likes this.