Standalone Projects Accord Tourer 2.4 LPG conversion by Speedy

Discussion in 'Project & Modification Logs' started by SpeedyGee, Sunday 20th Apr, 2014.

1. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    This is an LPG conversion I did for forum user @Eltax91 at the end of last year.

Eltax wanted a stealthy looking install that was well thought out and maintained the cars reliability and longevity.

My installs are all pretty much stealth looking anyway as I like to maintain the OEM look of the engine bay.

The Honda engines regardless of the myth that they suffer from valve seat recession when converted in actual fact run really well on LPG. In fact the majority of the LPG conversions I have done over the years have been on Hondas. My current CL9 clocked nearly 100K on LPG alone. The key is installing and maintaining a good flashlube system. To that end we decided install an multipoint electronically controlled flashlube system, this feeds the flashlube electronically in accordance to the engines RPMs and feeds each cylinder separately. It also has an LED which flashes when the flashlube bottle is empty.

This was the engine bay before work started :-

2013-11-22 18.16.44.

Lets start by removing the inlet manifold
    2013-11-23 10.05.30.

Inlet manifold off and on the bench, we need to drill holes for the LPG spuds and holes for multipoint flashlube. I always remove the manifold off the car so that no swarf will fall into the engine whilst drilling.

2013-11-23 16.12.59.

2013-11-23 16.13.05. 2013-11-23 16.13.11.
    Spuds installed, as close to the petrol injectors as possible and as symmetric to each other as possible.

2013-11-23 19.41.31.

Next drill holes for the multipoint flashlube spider
    2013-11-23 20.15.03.
    The inlet manifold is thoroughly cleaned before reinstallation and with the nozzles installed, the manifold can go back on the car.
    2013-11-23 21.51.27.

With a bit of piping later, the LPG are installed, ensuring as much downwards angle as possible.
    2013-11-24 18.38.13.

In this picture we see the piping has been completed and the flash lube bottle has been installed.
    2013-12-03 18.40.28.

In this picture we that the LPG ECU has been neatly installed against the right side of the battery and the fuse holder just above the positive terminal.
    2013-12-03 18.40.36.

And here we have it a completed engine post installation.
    2013-12-06 20.21.36.
    The eagle eyed amongst you will note that the engine bay as been treated to a courtesy steam clean.
    2013-12-06 20.21.48.
    Spot the stealth LPG filler point :Smile:
    2013-12-07 13.25.12.

2. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

I hadn't realised I was missing quite a few pictures :Ohdear:

No pictures of tank install and no pics of the wiring (you'd see a loom of about 50 wires sprawled all over the engine awaiting routing and soldering):Unknown::Frown:

I wonder if @Eltax91 would be so kind to post some pics of the tank in the spare wheel and give his feedback :Smile::Tongue:

Feedback on running costs figures would be really handy Eltax.

Racy Jace and Ichiban like this.
  3. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

Impressive work there @SpeedyGee. :Thumbup:
    At first glance, it's only the flash lube bottle that is seen.

4. Ichiban Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    Speedy as ever superb attention to detail , how about for the next project you use a custom made oil catch can modify it for flashlube then it's looks like nothing ever happened.

5. Ichiban Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

England CJ Leeds
    The owner is using a non genuine air filter :Ohdear:

6. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Well spotted on on the filter.

7. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

This is how others have done the install.

This is from a big Irish LPG conversion company
    install1.

This one I came across on AutoTrader
    install2.

accord-lpg.

Or how about this .. top notch BRC system with upside down injectors and injector pipes that are going to get worn/cut through due to rubbing on the holes LOL
    injectors_lpg_wrong.

8. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

So those aren't your earlier attempts ?:Rolf:

9. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

I'm insulted Nels :nea::Baseballbat:

10. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

:Sorry:

11. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Let you off this time Nels ... I can show you some more if you don't believe me :Smile:

12. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

Is this like 'cosmetic surgery gone wrong' ?
    Does it need a warning before viewing?
    I have a delicate disposition, and the last shots of mutilated K24's is very upsetting :Aghast:

13. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

No I meant more of my installs :Smile:

14. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Civic Type-R converted by myself a good while back :-

IMG_2044-Copy.

IMG_2046.

legend-ary and AndyB1976 like this.
  15. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Those other installs look like some form of LPG roadkill, all sorts of inner's hanging out at the side of the road...:Sobbing:

16. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Tell me about it Andy ! This is precisely why I learnt about LPG myself so I can bypass all the cowboys out there and do a proper job.

AndyB1976 likes this.
  17. Leo at H-Tune Director H-Tune Staff

United Kingdom DeviateDefiant Kettering
    It's good to learn more about how the process works, I still may get mine done with you one day Speedy. Need to get the performance side of things sorted out first so it doesn't become a bottleneck as I keep building away at my car :Smile:

18. Nels Club Moderator Club Staff

Love to see more of your work Mr Speedy. :Smile:
    It's good to know that there are still folk out there that take pride in what they do, even if they do make you see the gory crud too!
    Function and aesthetics need to go hand in hand. Not one or the other.

AndyB1976 likes this.
  19. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

The gory crud is essential to show people what is the wrong way to do things.
    On that front I've come across another example of a bad one on the internet.

This one is wrong, wrong, wrong, the injectors "spuds" are so far away from where they should be (they should be close to the petrol injector nozzles as possible)
    I'd expect this one to idle poorly and hesitate on acceleration as a result. Feel sorry for the owner.
    CRV_gen2_autoLPG_05.

20. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

Yeah get your mods sorted out mate and you can decide on LPG options afterwards.

Don't worry about the LPG system not being able to handle power, we'll design and chose components so that there is spare capacity in LPG system as opposed to being just about adequate or under powered.

I've done a 400HP V8 beast, I specced the gas system upto 500BHP, you can go hell for leather in it and it does it all on LPG throughout the whole rev range, no kicking over to petrol at all.

Leo at H-Tune likes this.