Electrical & Lights Accord EX GT automatic headlight height adjustment

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Psycon1, Friday 9th Aug, 2019.

1. Psycon1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey all.
    Ok I have the auto height adjustment on my headlights and noticed the other night that my drivers side headlight beam was really low. Is there anyway to check these are adjusting on their own or how to move them manually?
    Thanks guys
    Dave

2. julekasMobilek Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    Only diagnosing with proper diagnostic system.
    Without looking, my bet is rear leveling sensor. It is common failure due to leveling sensor connector is very vulnerable to weather conditions.
    The problem - that Honda does not self sensor itself, it sells whole unit, which is about ~200 pounds.

The error you're looking for is B2477.
    ff77195ba4b9e4f721f1c7883035ecad.md.

And both (front and rear leveling sensors) should display from 0.5V to 5V values depending on what level they are.
    For example fully extended sensor (like wheels hanging in the airs) is 5V, and fully retracted sensor (like very heavy loaded boot) is ~0.5V.
    As you can see faulty sensor displaying ~0V.

20ac87a8607b3e78bc3b67b3a044416c.md.

Here is how looks sensor itself:

sensor1.
    sensor2.

And wire harness is okay, not damaged:
    sensor3.

To diagnose if there is sensor fault or wire harness, is with multi meter:
    check connector red wire (rear sensors) or light blue wire (front sensors), there should be ground connection.
    check connector white wire (rear sensors) or grey wire (front sensors), there should be 5V.
    If this is correct, then faulty is sensor, otherwise - fix the wire loom :Smile:

hope this helps.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Oh by the way, I cut through the sensor and with tweezers pointing in the corroded areas:
    sensor_corode3. sensor_corode2. sensor_corode1.

3. Psycon1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brilliant what a great informative reply thank you. I will try to look at this at the weekend as long as it's not raining. Could the corroded area be re soldered if it is corrosion causing it?

4. julekasMobilek Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    Mine sensors third pin was completely corroded of. it just fell of the sensor. I even couldn't take a "ohm" measurement with multi-meter from it.
    The strongest pin was the middle one, as you can see in in photo:
    sensor_corode3.

So the curiosity led me to cut through the sensor and see how far corrosion get into the sensor :Smile:

So in my situation that was impossible to re solder something. Keep in mind, that nuts and bolts are also quite corroded under the car, it wasn't very easy job to take it off also.

5. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
  6. julekasMobilek Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    The only way to find out :Smile:

7. julekasMobilek Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    Update, it works.
    Used contact greaser to prevent future failures and corosion. Sensor's values is within limits. From 0.5V to 5.0V.
    2019-08-21 17.08.14.
    2019-08-21 18.41.20.
    2019-08-21 18.44.56.
    2019-08-21 18.48.37.
    2019-08-21 19.11.05.

MattBeardless likes this.
  8. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    Where did you get that sensor?

9. julekasMobilek Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    That link, that you posted :Smile:

Bounder likes this.
  10. Bounder Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Huan County Cork
    That was pretty fast postage, glad to hear it works. Useful info for other owners.
    Maybe you should put it in one of the DIY guides above?

11. Psycon1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for all the replys and info .
    I still haven't had a chance to test my sensors but am now realising that both my headlight aims seem to be low. Is there a way to manually adjust the headlights aim or reset the automatic headlight aim?
    Thanks again guys