Feedback/Help Accord 7 Sat Nav Diagnostic w/o access to diagnostic menu

Discussion in 'Feedback, Help & Suggestions' started by jvm33, Wednesday 6th Mar, 2019.

1. jvm33 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

France Johann Talence
    Hello,

I am still trying to fix the Sat Nav on my German market, left-hand drive 2004 Honda Accord Tourer Sport 5AT K20A6 (CM1). I don't really care about navigation but would like to have access to touchscreen controls (climate/audio). I tried cleaning the laser, replacing the DVD disc, taking everything apart to see if there were any obvious problems but it is still non-functional. With the help of someone from Honda Parts Europe
    39050-SED-G81 is all that matters in part numbers (39050-SED-G810-M1 or 39050-SED-G8ZA)
    39050:radio or navigation
    sed: means it is for an estate
    g means European (left-hand drive)
    81 usually means what year is the car it was made for ​
    I have determined that aside from backlights (some are orange some green or white on this generation Accord even in the same model year maybe depends on preferences in the original market country).

My problem : All physical buttons work aside from those directly under the touchscreen (to be clear not working are buttons for map/menu/zoom etc). This means I can set climate to auto and control the temp but can't adjust flow. I can't programme radio presets so I have to scroll through all stations to find what I want. I can't access the diagnostic menu either as the buttons under the screen are necessary to do so. The touchscreen itself is unresponsive, however I can get the map to display and follow movement of vehicle by pressing repeatedly on the joystick button upon startup. Once the map shows on the screen I still can't use touchscreen, zoom or change to night mode. (Interestingly, night mode worked very briefly when I put headlights on after pulling fuses and disconnecting battery to try to resolve a tailgate problem which I determined was a broken wire and fixed with the help of this forum).

Solution ? I have tracked down a used and working Sat Nav unit from a 2003 which should work (although the backlight color is green/white instead of my orange) My question is, as I can only afford one part for the moment, should I buy the DVD player unit (100€ delivered) OR should I buy the touchscreen unit (180€ delivered)? I understand the DVD player is the brains of the unit. Should I start there, or is there a way of determining the origin of the problem?
    Capture d’écran 2019-03-06 à 16.21.33. Capture d’écran 2019-03-06 à 16.22.11.

I greatly appreciate any help you can provide.

Best regards,
    Johann

2. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    If I were to take a punt I would say the issue is more likely to be the in the actual screen part and not the DVD but that is a just an educated guess.

3. jvm33 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

France Johann Talence
    Thanks SpeedyGee. I can now confirm that it is not the DVD player that is the problem as I received and installed one from the breakers and it is behaving no differently. My next step is to try a new top unit. I'm going to order one today (found a good price on a working unit with matching part numbers to mine) Why are these so finicky?

4. jvm33 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

France Johann Talence
    Just placed an order for the touchscreen unit. I saw photos from the breakers with the touchscreen working (picture of radio stations which don't come up on mine). Also the Sat Nav coordinates (when I connected the DVD unit received from the breakers) were on the location of the breakers (checked on Google maps) which leads me to believe that the unit is fully functional and should work once I get it installed. The only thought that crossed my mind is that the problem is perhaps due to a broken wire. Has anyone on here determined this to be a problem on radio equipment in this generation Honda Accord. I only ask because I had the common tailgate failure which turned out to be a wire that had snapped. I suppose those are under more stress as they are attached to a moving part. I guess I'll see once I receive the unit from the breakers. (I found both DVD player(90€ delivered)+touchscreen unit(142€ delivered) for 233€ which seems like a lower price than I have seen elsewhere although far from cheap).

5. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Usually its just the DVD laser that gives out, not seen the main screen unit have much trouble.

I guess you've just been unlucky, chances are it's just some dry joint/s on the circuit boards for the switches.

6. jvm33 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

France Johann Talence
    Sorted! After installing a new touchscreen everything is working again. So nice to have access to all the menus. I installed the DVD player as well which worked one time and then went to disc error message. I presume it works fine but is filled with airbag dust from the accident it endured. I suspect with a lens clean it will work fine if I ever need a spare. I would like to find the fault on the touchscreen unit which doesn't work but don't have enough knowledge of electronics.