HVAC A/C Temp Fluxuating?

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by gman88667733, Monday 9th Sep, 2019.

1. gman88667733 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom George Devon
    Another potential issue...
    The air con is normally ICE cold, but I have noticed a few times that if I hold my hand up to vent it sometimes goes to the ambient temperature for a second or three and then back to ICE cold and this will repeat every so often.
    I am really hoping this isn't the start of major air con failure that I've read about with CR-V's! Car is covered under warranty for another 5 months, so anything that needs sorting, i'd rather do now.

Any ideas?
    I'll do some testing to see when it does it, i.e... at high revs, low revs etc...

2. Craig830 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Craig Rothbury
    It maybe just needs a regass if it hasn't been done in the last year or two. The compressor doesn't run continuously but switches in and out to help the engine labour less (and therefore not be such a fuel drain on MPG figures).

If you're is lower than optimal on pressure, it will take a while for the system to become effective again, and hence the changing temperature.

3. gman88667733 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't have a record of it ever having a regas. I'll hold off for now then and get a regas in a few months or so!

4. Craig830 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Don't leave it too long, under-pressurised systems make the compressor work too hard, causing them to fail (that's the expensive failure!)

andy83 likes this.
  5. gman88667733 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Gotcha. Is the very likely to be my issue?

6. Craig830 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If it still gets cold, the compressor is currently working

7. gman88667733 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Okay, it does still get ICE cold. I'll book it in for a regas ASAP then. Thanks

Craig830 likes this.