General 93,Civic CR-X esi

Discussion in '5th Generation (1992-1995)' started by korky, Sunday 17th Mar, 2019.

1. korky Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Today my CR-X didn't want to start,it made a screeching sound when turning the key,after about 6 attempts it started and a lot of white smoke poured out of the exhaust, yesterday exceptionally rainy here, I took it for a 40 mile run and its back to normal.the fuel main relay has been replaced ,my next guess is the ECU .rain ingress,can anyone confirm this diagnosis and apart from putting it away in the garage every night any tips on preventing this happening again.
    Thanks Korky

2. DrSam Club Moderator Club Staff

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Screeching sound to me sounds like something was seized on the drive belt, could be a pulley, alternator etc. White smoke with a hit of blue is normally symptoms of oil finding its way into the cylinder thing white smoke is normally indication of a head gasket failure.
    In your case the smoke could be due to the car failing to start if it just white smoke and could be just because its cold start.
    When was your car last serviced?

3. korky Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the reply,last serviced less than one year ago,and approx 7,000 miles. My car has just done slightly over 100,000 miles from new.

4. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Has the problem re-occurred since the other day?

5. korky Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your reply,no it starts perfect doesn't overheat,hasn't used any oil,however the coolant level has dropped,that's worrying!