Engine & Gearbox 7th Generation Civic gearbox strip down

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by sunbeam 28, Thursday 21st Feb, 2019.

1. sunbeam 28 New Member Getting Started

England porky cambridge
    HI, I have enrolled onto your club,I have not introduced myself,28 sunbeam,because the system wants a vehicle photo to enable this.I can only do simple tasks on my laptop,transfering a photo from camera to computer is not one of them.Iwould like some help with info. about the 2003 1.4 Civic I have bougt for my grandaughter,this had a very noisy gearbox so I bought a kit of bearings to install. All has gone well untill refitting the end case where the circlip needs to go into the groove in the bearing. Can someone tell me if the bevelled washer, which I have installed directly under the nut,should instead go underneath the bottom bearing. If Idid this I am shure the circlip would then go in.I am probably not in the correct section to be asking for help, but I am more proficient with spanners than computers.Thank you.

2. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi @sunbeam 28 welcome to the forum.

I can't recall from memory where the bevelled washers go but to get the circlip to seat to need to shake the gearbox internals so that they seat fully.
    Put a block of wood on the floor, take the (assembled) gearbox, sit the back of the gearbox on the block of wood (back being the circlip end) lift it and bounce the gearbox on the block of wood. This will help seat that bearing that the circlip clips onto.

Later on, if I get chance, I'll see if I can dig up a diagram to show where the bevelled washer goes.

Nels likes this.
  3. sunbeam 28 New Member Getting Started

England porky cambridge
    Hi SpeedyGee, thank you for your rapid responce to my problem.I must say your answer worked like a dream,experience is a wonderfull thing.Gearbox now complete ,all new bearings & seals, just need to get a clutch kit,ordered a Borg& Beck & was sent a Blue Point which I have returned.I am now told B&B have sold their clutch business,to whom I do not know.So any recomendations anybody?Thanks again.

Nels likes this.
  4. SpeedyGee Club Manager Club Staff

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good to hear you got it sorted!

Exedy is OEM clutch manufacturer for Honda, I would go with them.

5. sunbeam 28 New Member Getting Started

England porky cambridge
    Hi SpeedyGee, Thanks for the recommendation on the clutch.Will pursue.Regards.

6. k20a3 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Any updates on this job please?