Fuel Efficiency 4th Generation CR-V Owners: ECON On Or Off?

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by TheDarkKnight, Monday 16th Sep, 2013.

?

ECON Button On Or Off?

1. ECON Switched On

53.0%
  2. ECON Switched Off

22.7%
  3. Mixed Use Of ECON Button

24.2%
  1. TheDarkKnight Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The button on the lower panel beneath the ECON button is the on/off switch for the sensors - however, it turns them ALL off (or on).

The Stop/Start feature is OK- saves some fuel, but not a great deal I wouldn't have thought. Most of my driving is m-way, and when on short runs, I disable the Stop/Start as its just a needless strain on components.

But yes, turning the A/C off makes a massive difference to MPG. I don't use the A/C - only once a week to check the system is working properly etc, but daily use - no. This rain ridden island can never truly get hot enough to warrant the use of A/C.

Toggerefc likes this.
  2. Dick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dick. Co Durham
    Only done 300 miles in our new 2.0 VTEC almost exclusively shortish "around town" journeys & getting currently 33.5 MPG on the display (set to reset at fuel up) Should be better with some more miles on it :Wink:
    Our mileage over the 3 years we will have this will almost certainly be below 20k so absolutely no point in even considering a diesel
    Nice to drive is an understatement :Grin:

Dick.

3. Dick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dick. Co Durham
    Forgot to mention econ is "on" doesn't seem to make much difference at the moment

4. TheDarkKnight Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes the engine will improve as its run in :Smile:

However, the ECON feature works best on longer runs, otherwise I agree, around town, the difference it makes is very negligible.

5. leonard Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london
    Petrol CR-V are lethargic , with ECON on it makes them even more lethargic and underpowered so from now permanently OFF

6. TheDarkKnight Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Its a shame that the 2.4 i-VTEC isnt offered here. I drove one in the States a while back - and my God does it shift!

7. Nels Community Staff Club H-Tune

United Kingdom JD Home
    That's a very good point, a CR-C with a 2.4 power unit.
    Is this another case of EU regulations supressing our choices, or HUK thinking it won't sell enough ?

8. TheDarkKnight Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Road tax alone would probably kill any interest. best I got in the 2.4 was about 33mpg, which, for what it is, is not that bad - but that was largely done through trips up/down the I-5 interstate. Around town it was barely above 21-24mpg!

9. Nels Community Staff Club H-Tune

United Kingdom JD Home
    Oh well. Maybe ERNIE or Camelot will come to the rescue :BooYeah:

10. leonard Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

leonard london
    Thats what I get out of my 2l CR-V ,so not a big difference on fuel consumption.

11. Quacker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Perhaps the calculation was made using US gallons which are a good bit smaller than Imperial gallons?

12. Dick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dick. Co Durham
    Don't know what your driving Leonard but my 2.0 i Tec will move very sharply whenever required, if you floor the pedal (even in eco) you get full power without any issues, part throttle response is OK for me as well in "eco".

It's a big old lump to drive you know, how fast do you want to go on our camera infested roads anyway ?

Dick.

13. Dick Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Dick. Co Durham
    Update on the fuel economy............. 2k miles now, currently sitting around 37 MPG on what is probably best described as "light urban" use........ it does include some "brisk" driving as well in that.

Good result as far as I am concerned, also feels like there is some more to come in the way of performance/economy :Smile:

Dick.

14. Ichiban Retired The Domo Don

England CJ Leeds
    Anymore updates guys?

15. Phil P Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Phil Kent
    TDK

What about Climate Control? I never use it. Nor A/C as such.

What I don't get though is if the A/C and Climate Control is off, I can still set a temperature (usually 'Lo') to come through the air vents, and when I do colder air seems to blow through, fan on or off. Am I actually turning on A/C when I do this? And if I set it to 17, 18, 21 etc instead of 'Lo'. presumably the A/C doesn't come on but the heater is working? Confused

Any rate, up to 53mpg now, with Econ always off as well

Phil

16. TheDarkKnight Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Climate control, as far as I can see has no bearing on fuel - as long as you can see the "A/C Off" symbol, then you arent using that extra fuel needed for the AC. I've had my heater control at "Lo" since May or June and left it like that.

17. Quacker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Really? Have you had the air-con compressor actually switched off during this lovely Summer? Haven't you felt at least a bit toasty at times?

Anyhow, you really should use the air-con once every couple of weeks or you will have problems long term. I never switch any of my vehicle systems off. Even so, the compressor obviously toggles in and out of work as needed to keep a constant temperature. Usually set my climate control [not all air-con systems have 'climate control'] to between 19 and 21C

18. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I know this is a 4th Generation thread but as a 3rd Generation owner on the subject of air-con, the combination of heat and air-con keeps the CR-V totally dry and mist free. There are not many days that I don't use air-con, actually, it's used more in the winter than the summer. For the tiny amount of extra load it puts on the engine to run air-con, I don't think it makes any significant difference.

19. TheDarkKnight Retired ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I do switch the AC on one a week to ensure it works etc - but for day to day use, no, its switched off. I don't think its hot enough here to need it on all the time - if at all.

(Real toastiness is wearing a black suit in 53C Arabian desert heat at an outdoor conference for 8 hours! :Wink: )

I can't speak for the 3rd Generation CR-V, but on the 4th Generation from my own experience, having the AC on or off can make the difference between getting higher or lower MPG. I'd therefore beg to differ about the engine loads because I've noticed that having the AC makes the MPG plummet a lot more than when I had the Accord. On my motorway runs, I can get 60mpg or more. With the AC on, it can dip to around 50mpg - thats almost a 20% difference right there.

That said, thats my experience. I doubt its the same for other users - we all have different driving styles etc.

20. AspenK24 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

AspenK24 Manitoba, Canada
    my econ is 90% activated. I really like how it smooths out the acceleration from a stop. When I was driving though the Rockie Mountains I had to take the econ off in order to get up the mountains, just found the response of the throttle to laggy