3S-GTE Celica Running problems

Discussion in 'Lounge & Gossip' started by haggis, Thursday 5th Nov, 2009.

1. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

hi guys

wasnt sure where else to put this but....been searching thru the Celica forums and can't really find an answer to my question....and i refuse to pay a membership fee to them just to post on their message boards....

basically wondering if anyone knows much about 3S-GTE engines and common faults they may have...

recently i've noticed when my car is cold, it seems really hesitant and won't go anywhere when you put the foot down.

its also overfuelling quite badly as its really smoky on startup and backfires if given revs in neutral

however, when it's allowed to sit and warm up to operating temp before being driven, its as sweet as a nut.

i have a blowing exhaust gasket, but its not too serious yet...could this be the cause?

i'm used to N/A engines, so blowing exhausts never bothered me before, but turbos use exhaust gasses so it can't be good for it

anything else i could check? its recently had new plugs and an oil and filter change.

P.S, all these problems are Off boost...i don't talk it on boost til it's warm

cheers

2. Gezmeister Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

My old one used to be like that when cold, don't think it's anything to worry about. Was the same when warm too as yours - sweet as. I'd get the exhaust gasket changed, and see what happens

3. a2k00 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

OK, First, Have you checked for ECU error codes on cold start up?

Once you have located this diagnostics port you will need to bridge two of the connectors together marked “E1” and “TE1”, you can use a small piece of wire or a paperclip, whatever is closest to hand.

Diagnosticsport.

bridgingthediagport.

Having bridged these together you are ready to read error codes.

Return to the drivers seat and turn the key to the “On” position, this will light up the engine check light and it will start flashing.

Constant uninterrupted flashing means that there are no problems.

To find out which error code you have if any, count the flashes and pauses.

Flash, flash, flash, flash, flash, pause, flash, flash, flash, flash would indicate an error code 54

Flash, flash, pause, flash, flash, flash, flash would indicate an error code 24.

Here below is a page with the error codes explained, Should you get any

http://www.gt4dc.co.uk/info/howto/ECU/ecu_error_codes.htm

Sounds like ignition issue, Check the plugs n HT leads, Failing that the injector ballest pack may be damaged and exposed to mosture.

They run EXTREEMLY rich from factroy, What you need to do is lean out the AFM 2-3 Clicks, Open the AFM, Mark where the spring is (VERY IMPORTANT) then loosen the screw and pull it till it goes up 2 teeth, Re seat the lid, Reset the ECU by removing the fuse and waiting 30 seconds and drive to test.

Did you change the fuel filter at the same time?

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 5th Nov, 2009
  4. a2k00 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

odd you have not replied to your own thread.. Any luck fixing it?

5. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

oh, i forgot i posted it on here too :lol:

i've not had a chance to look yet....guy phoned me during the week enquiring and is still interested even if i don't fix the problems, so if he doesn't take it for whatever reason then i'll be trying all the things i've been advised

as i said, plugs are fine, changed them last week....someone mentioned the Coolant Temp sensor or the thermostat could be faulty?

6. kowalski Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

james scotland
    Who cares, get rid, it's a shit gay car anyway

7. a2k00 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thermostat would make it hesitate mate

8. _Nick Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

how's a gen 6 celica a gay car?

9. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

is mine not a Gen 5?

i thought Gen 6s were the ones that looked like UKDM tegs and Gen 7s were the current ones?

10. _Nick Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

ok then lol, still though, how is the gen 5 celica a gay car?

11. haggis Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

i think Kowalski is being wide cos i was rippin the cunt outta that poofy wee lupo that Steven12312432543212313243254435 is selling...