262mm brakes on 16v hub mod... Doesn't Work.

Discussion in '4th Generation (1988-1991)' started by MeisterR, Friday 20th Nov, 2009.

1. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

Just thought I clear that up as there have been a few question about putting the 262mm Calipers and brakes on to a 16v hub by milling down 3.2mm off the caliper bracket.

Just to confirm that this mod will not work for the 16v CR-X / 4G Civic, the bracket is too short to fit onto the hub.

Yes, disappointed here also as I was thinking about making a "bolt on" kit for the 16v CR-X... so it is back to the drawing board for me.

2. spongebob Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

o well at least we tried lol

3. carthy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I thought milling 3mm off was for the CR-V calipers and 262mm disc but saying that the thread on honda-tech does get bit confusing on which capilers there using lol

4. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

Its okay, there are more than one way to skin a cat. :Smile:

I'll try to make something up for the 16v boys because I know first hand how "deadly" those brakes can be.

I had ED7 before... :Grin:

5. carthy Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

cool hope its the big disk brake setup you do for the 16v as im in need of some for my turbo build.

6. al9955 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've stickied this as IMO its conquered a mith so to speak, and im sure is a commonly asked question, anyone disagree, let me know :Smile:

al9955

7. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

Right, had a chat with the 4G forum and it seems like we got some part numbers worng.

What it seems like it need is a 282mm caliper carrier (not the 262mm caliper carrier) and a 262mm caliper and 262mm disk.

You will also need to "grind" the inside part of the brake pad off as it will make contact with the "hat" of the disk.

I am getting some "measurement" and I am going to test it out to come up with an upgrade for the 242mm hub.

A member from the CR-X-UK have kindly donated a useless 242mm hub so I am using that to make the prototype.

If it works, then it might mean there is hope for the 242mm hub instead of going straight to the junk yard because any upgrade require a hub change.

8. brown4454 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

one which may interest the 16v boys tho,

over in the states they use EP3/s200 calipers

swap the round right on left, left on right so you can bleed them

then use a 280 golf g60 disc.

hey presto, 280 brakes on your 16v hubs.

il try find the post, and copy n past the info over

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 4th Dec, 2009
  9. brown4454 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

use any caliper stamped (16CL16VN) or (17CL16VN) will work too on 9.5" knuckle, this is from S2000 (2003 up), RSX or TSX very easy to install and don't bother to redrill you rotor, use the VW Corrado G60 11" 4X100 with center ring.

You can keep your 15" wheel with this brake setup...and the best part you keep you knuckle.

few pics of the work done (from Hondatech)

3495809594_c449f09091_o.

3495809624_b2e17b3a36_o.

3495840304_c8138bce97_o.

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 4th Dec, 2009
  10. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

Yep, I am doing something similar as the above adapting the 286mm brake disk to fit the 16v hub.

Require a few measurement with the machine shop to get the correct measurement down, and once that is sorted I can "mass produce" them.

Should be a easy to bolt on kit with quality component without the need to search for lots of new parts or grind anything away; just bolt on and fits. :Smile:

11. mizan Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

wow i can't wait!!

i need new brakes, hopefully it will be at a good price too

12. phizaL Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Does this apply to pre-facelift ej9's with 242 setup?

13. k1rkek9 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Right, had a chat with the 4G forum and it seems like we got some part numbers worng.

What it seems like it need is a 282mm caliper carrier (not the 262mm caliper carrier) and a 262mm caliper and 262mm disk.

You will also need to "grind" the inside part of the brake pad off as it will make contact with the "hat" of the disk.

I am getting some "measurement" and I am going to test it out to come up with an upgrade for the 242mm hub.

A member from the CR-X-UK have kindly donated a useless 242mm hub so I am using that to make the prototype.

If it works, then it might mean there is hope for the 242mm hub instead of going straight to the junk yard because any upgrade require a hub change.

lsi upgrade yay !

14. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

The problem is that the CR-X/4G Si and the Civic LSi use a different hub if I am correct?

If they don't, I might have some other things I can do... but as far as I know they are different.

I could be wrong though... as always. :Grin:

15. phizaL Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

So this can be done on ej9's?

16. allkiller Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any news Meister R

17. MeisterR Commercial Services Trader

Alright guys, I gave up on the project but lately been looking back at it again.

The good news is that I may have got something for the Civic 242 Lsi brake...

That is in the work so will check fitment once the prototype are finished.

The bad news is that I can't get anything for the CR-X / 4G yet as I am having such a hard time finding info on them.

Not to mention they are not very "common" in the grand scheme of things.

I'll keep everyone up to date on what is happening.

Because Honda have a track record to make minor changes using the same brake between different model.

For example, the current 286mm brake setup for Civic can be fitted to the 96-98 spec DC2 Integra.

So I am hoping we might get lucky with the Lsi kit once it is completed.

18. hondatomee9 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Iv herd that you can get the 286mm brake set up for the EG and ef if you use the hubs off a Y reg honda accord and the calipers off a Civic VTI-S on a R reg then you can use the 286 discs from the MG/Rover ZR. .......

19. tall_racing_distribution Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This won't work as the accord stud pattern is 114 and the Civic is 100 but if the hubs do fit 282mm discs are no problem to find in 114 stud pattern.

20. tall_racing_distribution Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

JUst to make things clear, if you use the caliper from a Prelude or a CR-V this doesn't need to be done.

I have the 262mm discs on my 4g sedan using the Prelude calipers.

This is how i did it just to clear up all the confusion.

So obviously i started off with the standard d series hubs and brakes.

So for the upgrade i used the calipers from a 4th Generation Prelude vti, i also took the 15/16 inch master cylinder and brake servo from the Prelude aswell. The servo and master cylinder are pretty much essential, the brake upgrade is almost pointless without them.

You can use 262mm discs from a Civic ef,EG,EK or CR-X vti.

If you choose to do it the way i did it you will also need 2 3-4mm wheel spacers.

Its also pretty pointless to go to all this trouble and not change/upgrade your brake fluid while your at it. I changed mine to DOT 5.1 as i used to get bad brake fade with the DOT 4 on my standard brakes.

So first things first is to remove your original brakes.

Quick pic of the size difference

39541_459267451574_675026574_5413174_3014732_n.