Pre-Purchase 2017 CR-V Review

Discussion in '5th Generation (2017-)' started by legend-ary, Friday 2nd Dec, 2016.

1. Jassy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Jas Leicester
    Fluid filled bushings are suspension bushes or lower control arm bushes that are filled with fluid instead of being solid rubber or polyurethane bushes. Honda have apparently got a patent for it as well according to this link which dates back to 2001. I think the current gen Civic has fluid filled bushing (Link). Main problems seem to be cracking and fluid leaking out, but thats the same as a normal bush wearing out and needing to be replaced. Also sometimes used in engine mounts to minimise and absorb vibrations.

My thoughts so far are
    1) On a SUV, I'm not sure how durable these fluid filled bushes would be compared to a solid poly bush if it is going to be used on rougher tracks. On a normal road car like the Civic, these are quite suitable. Suspect that there might end up being after-market solid poly bushes being available for places where the roads are bad.

2) The AWD system info I have been able to get is
    so possibly some improvement over the current gen with some new software updates.

For comparison, the Toyota RAV4's can be locked to 50:50 split (Link)
    3) Engine choice of 1.5 turbo petrol or 1.6 diesel and most likely with the 9-speed automatic gearbox. Doubt we'll see the 2.4 naturally aspirated petrol engine here. Not entirely convinced with the turbo route that most manufacturers are going towards..hence my preference of naturally aspirated (less complications).

FR-V and PanayiotisPal like this.
  2. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    This is the best news I have heard so far. 57% is far better than 40%. Also having the 9 speed automatic gearbox is a plus. The torque % graph front/rear is something I requested long time ago (crvownerclub.com). It seems someone from Honda has read my request. Very pleased about this outcome.

Do you know if they have added the passive torque vectoring technology (break type)?? (I think it should be part of an improved VSA technology)

Last edited: Thursday 15th Dec, 2016
  3. Jassy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm speculating on the automatic gearbox.. whilst the 9 speed one would be good as its part of the current offering, remember this will be the ZF one which has got a history of issues including a recall of over 500,000 cars for transmission repairs. The US models have a CVT so can go either way...

I'm not too sure about the passive torque vectoring, sorry..
    I expect that it would be following the same current tech where front wheels receive 100% and then if slip in rear wheels is detected, power is sent to rear wheels. Once again, speculating on this as I'm not too familiar with the current tech and trying to get some technical info on it can be hard.

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  4. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    My understanding is that the passive torque vectoring also called active braking, applies brake force intentionally on one slipping wheel in order to give increased torque to the opposite wheel, thus maintaining lane position (thus no over-steer or under-steer takes place), when being on a left or right curve, using a yaw moment algorithm.

Last edited: Friday 16th Dec, 2016
  5. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    I think I misread this. It is 40% only. 57% was the increase?? This mean the 4th generation AWD rear torque was 26% ??? I thought it was between 30-40%. I don't see much improvement here. My enthusiasm has gone. The information is incorrect I believe. The article was written by Jeremy Korzeniewski an automotive enthusiast.

Last edited: Friday 16th Dec, 2016
    Jassy likes this.
  6. Jassy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Unfortunately there really isn't any reliable info on the 2017 CR-V AWD system... and I guess that will come when the release is done.

Regarding the passive torque vectoring point, that one would use the existing ESP/VSA system on a vehicle to brake the individual wheel if it's lost traction. My thinking is that it's just the same as ESP/VSA

PanayiotisPal likes this.
  7. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    It is similar, though I believe it is an improved VSA/ESP system with different algorithm. It lightly breaks the inside wheel in order to give more torque to the opposite wheel depending on the sway moment without loosing speed.

Jassy likes this.
  8. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    CR-V AWD 2017 Torque graph + dash, steering wheel, radio up close + interior. CVT has a low gear :Smile: (11:20). This is the first time I have seen this. See this video from the beginning it is worth it.

Last edited: Tuesday 20th Dec, 2016
  9. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    The European CR-V should come with a different front grill, and fog lights, thus better looking (see video)
    The automatic gearbox looks different than the USA version so it should be a ZF.

10. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    British built Honda: Jazz, Civic & CR-V good for a life of many more than 4 years & all have a good Warranty Direct Reliability Index.

FirstHonda likes this.
  11. FirstHonda H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    I hope it comes to the UK with a CVT auto rather than a multi-speed ZF.

tomwillie likes this.
  12. TheDarkKnight Retired Motorspec Ltd

Visually, inside and out, this car is a huge let down for me.

Sure it will sell, of that theres n doubt. But for all the nonsense bravado that Honda (on both sides of the pond) espoused it being bigger, having a 7 seat option etc - none of that has transpired. Even the interior, especially around the dash, centre section and vents etc - its like its straight out of a Kia. Absolutely no thought behind it at all.

Granted, I wouldn't have been looking to change up yet anyway, but the more I see this car, the more disappointed I get. Definitely not a £30k-plus car, thats for sure.

@PanayiotisPal - My understanding is that the CR-V you see here will be identical to the one we get in the UK. There will be almost no changes to the bumpers at all, or the grille.

13. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    I like to see improvements in design too. A pretty face gets attention. With Tiguan getting bigger (4.5m) and looking like an X5 CR-V needs to improve.

14. tomwillie Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Tom Royston
    Looked at couple of videos via link in First Honda's post & 2017 CR-V looks good to me so likely we will get a manual one with turbo petrol engine as we have been very pleased with our 4th Generation 2.0 EXi. Hope the partial head up display is available on a UK version.
    Be interested to see how VW/Audi, BMW, Jeep, Volvo etc get on with shifting all their used SUV's & 4 by 4's as many are only available with diesel engines. There are huge numbers for sale at their dealers. Motoring press persists in recommending diesel over petrol if available. Our local Honda salesman said diesel is "dead" when we road tested new Civic Sport with 1.5 turbo petrol engine & he is hoping Honda will put the new 1.0 turbo petrol engine in the HR-V, so it then drives as well as the diesel version, and Jazz.

15. FirstHonda H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    If the interior quality is on a par with the new Civic - and I imagine it will be at least on a par - then it is significantly ahead of the current generation of CR-V.