Pre-Facelift Model 2002 CR-V cold starting stutter/issue!

Discussion in '2nd Generation (2002-2006)' started by gman88667733, Thursday 5th Sep, 2019.

1. gman88667733 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom George Devon
    ’ve got a 2002 2.0 petrol auto CR-V. I’ve only had it for a month or so, but I have an issue with cold starting... I’ll try to attach the video of the issue, but basically, on warm starts, it starts fine and smoothly, but when left overnight or a little while, the engine coughs it stutters as it starts, the battery light flickers at the same time as the engine stutters too. It needed a new battery when I got the car. The new battery has a lower CCA rating than the old one, which even that had a lower CCA rating than stock. Current battery is rated at 330 or 320 CCA, old one was 380 CCA and stock was 420 CCA I believe.
    Could the new battery just not be powerful enough? The rest of the spec is the same.
    It is a strange issue.

I’ll link the video on my Google drive as that’ll be easier, cheers

Edit - car has done 93k miles and has recently had a service before purchase.

Also noticed that when idling, if I rev the engine a little and then stop, the idle seems to drop quite low for a few seconds, before raising back up. It drops low enough that you can feel it in the car, the car sort of shudders a bit. I suppose on a 17 year old car, the throttle body may be a bit gummed up if it has never been looked at?

2. gman88667733 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just to add, there are no fault codes at all.
    The idle issue i mentioned isn't exactly bad, I'm sure most people wouldn't notice it, but I do.

3. gman88667733 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just to close this up for anyone that finds this and has a similar issue, it was the starter motor at fault. They swapped out the starter motor and it now starts completely differently, it sounds much quieter and smoother. Starts like a new car now!

Hope this helps someone.

p.s. The idle issue I mostly sorted myself, I changed the spark plugs and cleaned the throttle body and that seemed to smooth it out as fair bit. For a 17 year old car it runs incredibly well.

andy83 likes this.
  4. andy83 Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom andy shropshire
    keep her going mate...

gman88667733 likes this.
  5. gman88667733 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Actually, it hasn’t solved the issue. The new starter definitely sounds vastly different to the old one, but it still stutters when left a few hours as the engine starts. Only for a second until it’s properly running. Not sure what to try next, Fuel filter/pump?

6. jd1959 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Maybe the IACV needs cleaning? They can cause idle issues. Not sure but there is probably an idle learn procedure after having it off and cleaned, normally run up to temp and let idle for about 10 min without any accessory on or touching the steering wheel.

7. gman88667733 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Would the IACV cause an issue just after it starts though? It is as the engine catches that it stutters and then its okay, so the issue really is with it starting up. The idle is still a bit surging too though. If you rev it a little, it revs up, then drops to almost nothing, the car shudders and then the revs raise back up to 600ish. It will sometimes do this on its own too. Worse with the air con on. And worse when the car is warm.
    I've cleaned the throttle body and that maybe helped a tad, I've changed the spark plugs which made no difference.

My next thing to try is to test if the PCV valve is clogged or not and also give the IACV a good clean with some throttle body cleaner.