Tyres & Wheels 17" Vs 18" alloy wheels.

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Racy Jace, Sunday 16th Oct, 2016.

1. Racy Jace H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

United Kingdom Jason Dudley, UK
    I've been looking on line at all sizes and 19" wheels with 4mm of tread and a few scuffs were all over £650. A breakers by me had a used set of 17" with 5mm of tread that were ideal but he wantedl £800! All the new wheels I came accross were all over £1000 so I paid £540 including fuel for these which I thought was ok.

I'm taking the Xmas decorations down now so I have a space under the stairs to store them while I wax them over the next few days.

Nels and FirstHonda like this.
  2. FirstHonda H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    £540 is a great price!

The Honda dealer in Swansea had a set a few months back - without tyres - for £250, so I think you got a good deal.

Racy Jace likes this.
  3. Nels Community Staff Club H-Tune

United Kingdom JD Home
    :whathesaid:

Should look smashing on your CR-V @Racy Jace

I shall have to pay a lot more than that for a 2nd set for my Accord.:Frown:

Racy Jace likes this.
  4. FirstHonda H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

5. Racy Jace H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

The cost for 2nd hand honda alloys is still really high. I'm not complaing as a had my spare accord wheel to sell last year and got a decent price for it,

6. FirstHonda H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

Racy Jace likes this.
  7. Racy Jace H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

I'd seen those wheels too. They have been for sale a while. I did notice when zooming in to pics 9 and 11, the tyres had signs of cracking and the tread depth seemed a bit low on 2 of the wheels. I'd personally just put in an offer that you'll be happy with and leave him to think about it.

8. Nels Community Staff Club H-Tune

United Kingdom JD Home
  9. 155695 Premium Member Club Supporter

England Keith Essex
    They look very similar to the ones mine one came with as standard. Only had them on a day before I put my winters on but they do look good, especially with the twilight blue!

PS - I seem to remember you saying you'd given up on the Orions Ed.

Keith

FirstHonda likes this.
  10. FirstHonda H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

Lol, I know - but I really like the look of them on a white CR-V...:Whistle:

Racy Jace likes this.
  11. Racy Jace H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

Didn't you buy some Lyra alloys? Would you then have 3 sets of wheels if you get the orions?

12. FirstHonda H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

Yes I would. It's a good job I'm not married any more, as things like that tend to be frowned upon. For some reason it's different to having 50 pairs of bloody shoes...:lol:

PanayiotisPal and Racy Jace like this.
  13. Racy Jace H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

Lol. The forum needs a new status for people like you :lawbreaker:. My first thought was Honda Nutta but I think Honda Fanatic sounds better. It can be given to people that have more than 2 honda items. I think 12 honda wheels would get you in that club easily enough. :Grin:
    - - - Updated - - -
    My wife's about to slag me off on Facebook because the Christmas tree and groto has been replaced by these :Fear:
    - - - Updated - - -
    I've got 7 days to shift them!

Last edited: Tuesday 3rd Jan, 2017
    MickyB, PanayiotisPal and FirstHonda like this.
  14. Nels Community Staff Club H-Tune

United Kingdom JD Home
    @FirstHonda seems perfectly normal to me...Assuming I'm normal that is.

No problem for you to get them on your car by then, but where will you keep the ones currently on there?

Racy Jace likes this.
  15. Racy Jace H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

Does anyone know the tyre pressure for 225/65/17 wheels? I'm guessing that it's slightly higher psi than the 18"

16. DrSam H-Tune's Counsel Club H-Tune

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    30psi all around according to kwik fit Screenshot_2017-01-03-18-28-16.

Racy Jace likes this.
  17. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    My guess is 2.3 bar for all rims 17 18 19.

DrSam likes this.
  18. Racy Jace H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

I just checked my tyres and they all at 40 psi. My Dad, the ex mechanic is now saying 30psi is too low. Surely it should be fine as I just found this. It is American though I think.

Screenshot_2017-01-07-14-20-43.

19. Racy Jace H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

After a few days of driving to work and a 200+ mile round trip to the Harry Potter Studios I can confirm that my 17" wheels are now staying on my car permanently. The ride is less harsh over small bumps and broken up tarmac and still gives the same responsive drive. Even driving over raised/sunken man hole covers can hardly be felt now. The ride has no signs what so ever of spony. Its On the motorway I had some really heavy rain and some standing water that I effortlessly drove though. Normally I can feel the weight of the steering change through deep water at speed but these Goodyears were fantastic! I do find it odd that the tyres arent rotational though??. Road noise seems about the same as the Michilin Latitude. Also over speed bumps there isnt that much difference between the 17 & 18 in wheels which still leads me to believe the newer CR-V has softer damping to absorb that initial big shock.

DrSam likes this.
  20. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    It depends which means you use to arrive to the same end. The law abiding solution would be the first only.

1. 225 65 R17 (came with 6.5J rims or 7J rims)
    2. 235 65 R17 (the least rim width is 7J e.g. Audi Q5 basic comes with 7J 235 65 R17 though the speedometer is synchronized to this tyre size 105Km on speedometer, 107Km real)
    3. 225 65 R18. Similar comfort as 1. 105km speedometer 108km real
    4. 235 60 R18. Similar comfort as 1 above. 105km speedometer 107km real

My opinion: with wider tyres (235mm) you'll get better performance in the dry, and can better protect your rims from curb rash.

The speedometer reading is just 2-3 km off when speeding 105Km (real figures 107-108Km)

Last edited: Wednesday 11th Jan, 2017