Engine & Gearbox 10 speed automatic by Honda

Discussion in '5th Generation (2017-)' started by PanayiotisPal, Tuesday 10th Jan, 2017.

1. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    Honda has produced a new 10 speed automatic transmission. How would this compare to ZF 9 speed (9HP48 450Nm Diesel - 480Nm Petrol) or S-Tronic/DSG 7 speed (DL501 or DQ500 with 600 Nm)? Any ideas of its max torque capability???

I guess this is more of a V6 engine transmission, but maybe a cheaper in house solution for 2.0l turbo CR-V (350-400Nm). Only time will tell if it makes its debut in the European Market.

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Ed Wiltshire
    My experience with these multi-ratio gearboxes isn't positive. I find that with any more than 6 speeds, the gearbox is looking for the 'right' ratio to select too often. I've found that with the VAG DSG gearbox and (albeit on a limited test drive) with the Honda 9 speed.

I'd prefer Honda to concentrate on a 5 or 6 speed gearbox with ratios chosen to match the engine and real world situations. My belief is that all these multi-ratio autos are developed more for emissions testing on a bench than an actual need, or customer requirement.

PanayiotisPal, andy83 and honda_saj like this.
  3. honda_saj Club Veteran ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom saj east london
    @FirstHonda couldn't have said it better

sent using tapatalk

4. PanayiotisPal Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Greece Panos Nicosia
    My opinion is that the optimum is between 6 to 7. 7 for the turbo.