Engine & Gearbox 1.6 i-DTEC Limp Mode

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Navrig, Monday 18th Feb, 2019.

1. Navrig Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    I have a 2015 1.6 turbo diesel model. I've had it since it was 12 months old and added 60k miles to the original 8k miles when I bought it.

It gets run on a dual carriageway almost every day running at 70mph or more ;-)

Over the weekend it dropped into limp mode when I was accelerating. The engine management light came on. I finished part of my journey and stopped for a while. When I started up again the light was still on but the engine was running OK until I accelerated hard when limp mode cam on again. That was repeated several times.

This morning my wife drove 20 miles to work and by being light footed she coaxed it up to 70mph with no limp mode.

We will be booking it in for a service (due soon) and to get it looked at. We tend not to use Honda dealers so I was wondering if anyone has ay ideas as to what is causing the problem?

2. SpeedyGee The Invincible Admin Club H-Tune

England Speedy Birmingham
    We can only guess and my guess is possibly turbo related.

I'd have said DPF related but you say it gets a dual carriage run at "decent" speeds every day. Also, you've not mentioned the DPF warning light coming on.

3. Lisbon Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Reading
    You need to run diagnostics check for any logged fault codes to narrow it down. If you are a member of the AA or RAC, they have the tools to do this. They may try and get you to take it to the dealer, but when I had engine management light come on, I pushed for them to come out as I did not want to drive 25 miles to my dealer and they did (I have a 2015 I-DTEC 1.6 D). In my case it turned out to be an exhaust air/fuel ratio sensor. In fact, I had the same sensor fail a year later and when I challenged dealer on this, I was told the sensor has since been modified due to high failure rates. In my case, I did not experience limp mode, but drove the car very sedately for just a few miles to get me home.

4. Navrig Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    Thanks guys. Interestingly the light has gone off and the engine is now fine.

We had a similar issue about 3 years ago. In that instance the light came on and the car went into limp mode BUT stayed in limp mode. Our regular mechanic ran diagnostics and nothing showed up. He checked all the sensors and none were loose or reporting a fault. We were about to go to a Honda dealer when the mechanic suggested it may be linked to supermarket fuel. He added a fuel treatment/supplement to the tank told us to fill up and not use supermarket fuel so much or even again. The next day the light went out and the engine returned to normal. It has been fine until Saturday. We have stopped using supermarket fuels (I am very cynical about the rumours about supermarket fuels but if it keeps the car running I'll avoid them).

This time I added a fuel treatment (Redex) and filled up. It would go into limp mode on Sunday if pressed hard. By yesterday (Monday) it seemed to be back to normal.

It's due a service so I'll get them to run the diagnostics again.

5. Zebster H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

There will be a stored diagnostic trouble code relating to this issue... don't you know anyone with a code reader? Whereabouts are you, I'm sure anyone on the forum with a reader would oblige? Or buy your own reader... the ELM327 bluetooth types compatible with Android devices are available for well under a fiver!

6. Navrig Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    Like one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viecar-4...DxXVvwFgRHkQrm8uuV2YQLHblbDg==&frcectupt=true

7. Zebster H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

No. Like these...
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Torque-E...3:g:oDQAAOSwhHFbMI72:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Although I've actually got two very cheap example I bought from Gearbest and simply leave them in the gloveboxes of each of our cars. They work fine...
    https://www.gearbest.com/car-gadgets/pp_130571.html?wid=1433363

Do note that these Bluetooth examples only work with Android devices (plus a free app). If you have an Apple device then you should get a WiFi version.

But I'll read the code for you if you live near me. I'll even use my big expensive code reader!

8. Navrig Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    Thanks. More technology to play with........

9. Navrig Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    I am in Scotland but thanks for the offer. I use Android so that one should do.

10. Zebster H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

For info, I use the free 'Torque' app on my tablet and phone.

11. Navrig Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    So after running fine for a few weeks and being serviced (minor) intermittent limp mode is back.

I've ordered the diagnostic BT tool from eBay and will check it over the weekend.

When serviced the garage (not a Honda dealer) reset the diagnostics. Will the previous faults be logged still?

Is there a published of Honda fault codes or will the app (Torque) tell me which each one is?

Thanks in advance.

12. Zebster H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

There are 'generic' and "manufacturer specific' error codes. A non-Honda reader will only interpret generic codes, however manufacturer specific codes can be googled or, better, searched for on this forum or posted into this thread.

If a garage deleted the previous codes then they will be gone for good. But best to start with a clean slate...

13. Navrig Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    So the reader arrived and I have installed the Torque app. It is returning one current fault code which is P1237. Previous faults have been cleared.

Any idea hat this code means?

14. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

According to my quick bit of research....

P1237 Honda OBD2 specifically refers to the camshaft (cam) timing. In this case, if the cam timing is over-retarded, the engine light will be illuminated and the code will be set.

15. Navrig Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
  16. Zebster H-Tune's Counsel The Evangelists

P1237 is low boost pressure. Several reasons why this can happen but my money would be on a leak from the boost pipework, or even the intercooler.

If you delete the stored error code, does it come back the next time the car is used?

17. Navrig Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    I'll check. Cheers.

18. Heckler Community Staff Club H-Tune

That code seems to vary from car to car... I've found references to fuel pressure, turbo pressure as well as timing.

19. Navrig Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom GB
    £99 and a new MAP sensor and sorted.

Thanks for you help guys.

equaliser, SpeedyGee and Zebster like this.