General 1.6 i-DTEC EX - couple of questions

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Weetabix, Tuesday 16th Jul, 2019.

1. Weetabix Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi

I previously had a 2.2 I-DTEC Ex prior to buying my current car (Volvo XC60 D5) and am potentially looking at coming back to Honda in the guise of an 18 plate 1.6 I-DTEC EX. I have a couple of general questions if you folks would be kind enough to help:

1 - I haven't yet driven a 1.6 so how do they compare performance wise to the 2.2?

2 - Any particular issues that I need to look for in the car?

3 - It has the Garmin Sat Nav - are the maps user upgradeable or dealer only?

4 - Can I install Apple CarPlay and Android Auto?

Any other pointers would be most welcome. Thank you.

2. Hatter Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    Hi there
    Q1. Can't help as not had a 2.2.
    Q2. Had an air flow sensor issue which needed replacing. Known issue but only replaced on request. Might have sorted it by 2018 model.
    Q3. You can upgrade maps yourself via USB stick. Plenty of posts on this. Only 1 upgrade a year usually later on in year. Maps are 2019 at the moment. To be honest it is a pretty useless sat nav but does get you there by strange routes at times. Must admit it has got better each update.
    Q4. Simple answer is no. Unit locked down and depending on version you can add the likes of Waze by the back door but would imagine yours will have RC8 (latest version) which closes back door loophole. It can still be done but not worth the effort in my opinion. One thing worth adding to the sat nav is the speed cameras. Has to be done a special way and there are posts on how to do this (I've done one but can't remember when and title but you'll find it by searching).
    Hope this helps
    Peter

155695 and MattBeardless like this.
  3. Weetabix Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you. Got the car today and pretty pleased with it. I have managed to update the SatNav to the latest version already and that was easy.

Can't seem to find how to add in speed cameras though so if anyone is kind enough to post a link I'd appreciate it.

4. Hatter Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    I'll run you through it.
    You should have the USB which you used to update the maps. Do not wipe the USB. Leave the map update on.
    Now to get the cameras.
    Go to www.gpspower.net and register. Once registered, go to the GPS navigation systems sections, then Garmin GPS system, then poi's, voices, speedcams and vehicles and then finally Cyclops safety cameras for Garmin. Go to the last page (page 58), and post #576 by SD has the latest Cyclops. You need to download the UNLOCKED cameras with No VPN.
    How to install.
    Once downloaded, open the zip file and search for your country in the open folder ... ours is UK /Ireland. Copy the file and then insert the USB stick and using Windows explorer open the Garmin folder and then there is another folder called poi. Open that and paste the speed camera file. Now go to the car and perform a map update. Once complete the cameras are there but you need to activate them.
    How to activate cameras.
    With the navigation running, tap the back arrow and on the next screen tap settings. Now top left are three lines (the hamburger as it is called). Tap this and on the next menu tap restore. This activates the cameras as the Garmin software isn't programmed to activate them otherwise. You might now need to, in the maps section, change the maps to UK (they could have reverted to default Garmin). All done.
    Cameras will now work. Traffic light cameras always show but speed cameras do not show on the map screen until you are near them and going fast enough. By that I mean, doing 30 in a 40 limit, no camera will show but as you get close to 40 then you get a warning. The warning is 2 bongs and a red stripe across top of nav screen. If you go faster than limit you get a single ping.
    Hope this helps
    Peter

5. Hatter Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

England Peter Rotherham
    Further to my last post, if you have problems downloading the cameras from zippyshare (you get error message) then use Opera browser with VPN activated (via browser menu). Works well.
    Further further to the post. After a while you get the nagging 'agree' screen on starting up the car. You need to tap 'agree' to move on to the nav screen. Unfortunately this stops the cameras working so you need to go through the activating them section again. It's not every time the unit starts. Usually around once a month at the most. Believe the unit is doing a memory clean up.
    Regards
    Peter

Last edited: Tuesday 23rd Jul, 2019