Another procedure that we completed whilst at Holdcroft Honda the other day. The coolant should be change as part of the 62,500 mile or 5 year service. It's easy to do and I hope the below guide shows you how.
1. Start the engine. Set the heater temperature control dial to maximum heat, then turn off the ignition switch. Make sure the engine and radiator are cool to the touch.
2. Remove the engine cover
3. Remove expansion tank cap and the bleed plug on the expansion tank.
4. Loosen the bleed bolt (A) on the cylinder head.
5. Loosen the drain plug (A), and drain the coolant.
6. After the coolant has drained, tighten the radiator drain plug securely.
7. Reinstall the drain bolt with new washer and tighten it securely.
8. Make sure that the bleed bolt is loosened on the cylinder head and the bleed plug on the expansion tank is removed.
9. Pour genuine Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 into the expansion tank.
10. Pour the coolant over the MAX mark as shown in the illustration to fill the engine with the coolant.
NOTE: Always use Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 (P/N 08CLA-G02-6LO). Using a non-Honda coolant can result in corrosion, causing the cooling system to malfunction or fail. Honda All Season Antifreeze/Coolant Type 2 is a mixture of 50% antifreeze and 50% water. Do not add water.
Engine Coolant Capacities (Including the expansion tank capacity of 0.9 L (0.24 US gal, 0.20 Imp gal))
After Coolant Change: 6.8 L (1.80 US gal, 1.50 Imp gal)
After Engine Overhaul: 8.0 L (2.11 US gal, 1.76 Imp gal)
11. Tighten the bleed bolt when the coolant comes out in a steady stream with no bubbles.
12. Install the bleed plug with a new O-ring and tighten securely.
13. Install expansion tank cap loosely.
14. Start the engine and let it run until the radiator fan comes on at least twice. Do not operate the air conditioning system. Then stop the engine. Make sure to warm up the engine to bleed the remaining air in the engine block.
15. Adjust the coolant level in the expansion tank to the MAX mark (A) after warming up the engine.
16. Install the expansion tank cap and tighten it fully, then run the engine again and check for leaks.
Engine Coolant Change
Accord 03-08 i-CDTI, N22A