Another job that we did whilst at Holdcroft Honda. Honda recommend changing at 75,000 miles as part of the 6th service. I decided to bring it forward as 75k is a fair old distance!
1. Park the vehicle on level ground, and turn the ignition switch OFF.
2. Remove the splash shield. Click this link to view details of the procedure (I've got to write this yet!)
3. Remove the drain plug located at the bottom of the gearbox as shown in the pictures below. If you want to check the condition rather than change remove the oil check bolt (A) and washer (B), check the condition of the fluid. If dirty or you have already decided to change the fluid remove the drain plug (C) and washer (D). (Top Tip A 3/8" socket fits the drain plug perfectly so no need for any special tools for this!)
4. You'll need something suitable to hold just over 2 litres of fluid as it drains from the bottom of the gearbox
5.Install the drain plug with a new washer.
6. Remove the oil filler plug (A) and washer (B). At this time you do not have to remove the battery base ,air intake cover or resonator chamber to get to the drain plug. It is tricky to access but can be done. Adi who did the service at HH had a special attachment which grabbed the filler plug to save having to remove everything. You may be able to do it very gently without the special tool, if in doubt remove the above items. The fill plug is located as shown below.
6. Refill the transmission fluid from the oil filler plug hole of transmission, and until the transmission fluid overflows from the oil check bolt hole previously slackened. Always use Honda Manual Transmission Fluid (MTF). Using engine oil or other gearbox oils can cause stiffer shifting because it does not contain the proper additives.
Fluid Capacity 2.2 L (2.3 US qt, 1.9 Imp qt) at Fluid Change 2.5 L (2.6 US qt, 2.2 Imp qt) at Overhaul
7. After it stops overflowing, install the oil check bolt (B) with a new washer (C).
8. Install the oil filler plug (A) with a new washer (B). Tighten to correct values.
9. Install splash guard back on the car.
10. Job done!
Accord i-CTDi Gearbox/Transmission Fluid Replacement MTF
Accord 03-08 i-CDTI, N22A