Any enthusiast running boost, nitrous or high RPMs is aware of the trade-offs associated with inductive coils versus converting to a capacitive-type discharge ignition system (CDI). While inductive coils deliver a long spark duration, they lack enough energy to light off the combustion chamber of a modified high-performance vehicle. In contrast, CDIs delivers intense energy but with inadequate spark duration, making the proper mixture in the combustion chamber critical for best performance. This tradeoff ends with AEM’s High-Output “Dumb” Inductive Coils, the first inductive coils that deliver CDI-like spark energy and voltage, and the long spark duration necessary for vehicles running forced induction and nitrous.
AEM’s High Output “Dumb” Inductive Coil is designed to be used with an external igniter.
when used on distributed ignition vehicles.
AEM’s High-Output Inductive Coils each deliver over 100mJ of spark energy and a minimum of 40,000 Volts—as much as most CDI systems, without the need for a CDI module! They also provide very long spark duration at full energy, unlike CDI systems and multiple spark systems which fire off small spark events prior to and after their CDI burst to mimic longer spark duration.
- Available for vehicles with external igniters
- Massive Spark Energy, up to 118 mJ
- Incredibly long spark duration, up to 3.2mS
- Up to 41kV Output Voltage, without a CDI
- CDI-like spark energy without the need for a CDI
- Less expensive than aftermarket LS1 coils
- Robust construction allows them to be mounted almost anywhere
- Heavy-duty, weatherproof and shockproof design
- Can be installed directly to engine
- Primary Resistance: 0.5 O +/- 10%
- Primary Inductance: 4.8 mH +/- 15%
- Secondary Resistance: 8.5 kO +/- 20%
- Secondary Inductance: 22.5 H +/- 20%
- Output (50pF load): 41 kV +/- 10%
- Output Energy: 118 mJ +/- 7%
- Peak Secondary Current: 100 mA +/- 7%
- Arc Duration: 3.2 mS +/- 10%
- Turns Ratio 71:1
- Maximum Battery Voltage: 17 Volts
- Base Dwell: 3.0 mS
- Max Continuous Dwell: 9 mS but don’t exceed 40% duty cycle
- Max Intermittent Dwell: 80% duty cycle, 5 seconds maximum
- Mating Connector: Packard/Delphi 12162182 “Pull to Seat”
- Mating Contacts: Packard/Delphi 12124075 “Pull to Seat”
- High Tension Wire Terminal: HEI “spark plug top” Style
- 11cm (4.5")
- 11cm (4.3")
- 6cm (2.3")
- Actual Weight
- 0.57kg (1lb 4oz)
- Dimensional Weight
- 0.14kg (Air Freight Minimum)
All weights/dimensions have been checked and confirmed by our warehouse team. This part is eligible for international express air freight shipping.